Don’t feel sorry if you don’t know about the delicious shakshuka. This highly exotic dish has its origins in North Africa, where locals love it extremely hot and served in an iron cast accompanied with bread. While the original recipe includes a heavy use of eggs, the following vegan shakshuka recipe doesn’t include a single egg.
This vegan shakshuka version comes from the ancient land of Israel and doesn’t have a lack of taste and favor in comparison with the original recipe. Instead, the vegan properties of it boost its nutrition value and supports this healthy lifestyle.
So, they told you that because it was vegan, you will not like it. They were wrong, and so you as well if you believe them that silly lie. Now pay attention and learn how to prepare a delicious North African dish with this vegan recipe.
What Do You Need?
In order to prepare a this meal at home you will need the following ingredients in these presentations:
- 4 medium to big tomatoes chopped into chunks or half wheels.
- 1 medium to large onion chopped into fine slices.
- 5 cloves of fresh garlic preferably chopped in really fine slices.
- 1 green bell pepper sliced into fine strips.
- 1 pack of normal Tofu or silken Tofu, depending your preference.
- 2 tablespoons of high-quality olive oil.
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of tomato paste, depending on how saucy and thick you want it.
- 1 tablespoon of Paprika.
- 1 cup of potable water.
Having all these ingredients, you are ready to take the next step.
Steps to Follow
You don’t have to be a Master Chef to prepare a this. Despite its wonderful taste and nutritional value, it’s a really easy dish to make at home. Just follow the steps indicated below.
- In a large pan, pour the olive oil and put it in the fire. Leave it heating while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Once the olive oil gets really hot, fry the slices of onion and the fine slices of garlic and stir them constantly. When they turn golden, put in the oil the pepper strips and the tomatoes, and keep stirring for a while.
- Take the cup of water and the rest of the spices and have them ready at hand. Also, decide how you are going to prefer the Tofu, sliced or crumbled, and have it ready as well.
- When the vegetables in the pan seem golden and softened, add the water, the spices, and the Tofu. In the moment everything is inside the pan, mix it up for a few seconds and put on the lid to cover.
- Led everything to cook on a low heat with the lid on. Check it after a while to see how soft the vegetables are.
- Remove the cover lid when you notice all the vegetable are soft and leave the content to cook for another 5 minutes on low heat, mainly in other to make the sauce thicker.
At this point, your meal is ready to serve. You must add some slices of bread to complete the dish. Taking a slice and adding the shakshuka on top is a real treat for everyone. You can also add a little bit of salt to the taste of the person, depending on his or her preference.
That’s it. You didn’t break the bank or spend a whole afternoon preparing a delicious vegan shakshuka. Share with family and friends this amazing recipe and enjoy the African gastronomy at home.