Easy Vegan Pho Recipe
One of the best dish of Vietnamese food, if you ask me, is pho, the noodle soup. I've tried so many vegan versions of pho, but so far this has been one of the most delicious. Since it's a super easy vegan pho recipe, you can prepare it yourself in less than one hour. Easy Vegan Pho Recipe
Write a review
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, quartered
- a piece of fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 4-6 whole star anise
- 8 oz. rice noodles
- 1 lb. firm tofu, drained, pressed and cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, cut into thin strips
- lime wedges
- sriracha sauce
- soy sauce
- hoisin sauce
- jalapeño slices
- fresh cilantrožscallions
- fresh basil
- In a large pot pour the vegetable broth and put over high heat. Let it simmer.
- While the broth is cooking, take a baking sheet and put ginger and onion on it and then place under broiler and cook for about 4 minutes, until lightly charred on top. Rotate and cook for some more until charred on the other side. Add ginger and onion to the broth and add star anise, cinnamon, soy sauce or tamari and cloves. Let it simmer for about half an hour. If the mixture reduces too much, add a bit of water.
- Easy Vegan Pho Recipe 2
- While the broth is cooking, cook noodles following the package directions, then drain and rinse with water.
- Take a large nonstick frying pan, pour oil and put over medium heat. Add tofu cubes and cook for 10 minutes (until brown), flipping occasionally. Remove from heat and place to a paper towel.
- After the broth is cooked, remove ginger, onion and spices using a slotted spoon. Add shiitakes and simmer for about 4 minutes. Then add carrots and simmer 1 more minute.
- Divide tofu and noodles among bowls and ladle veggies and broth over top.
Vegan Bandit http://www.veganbandit.net/