Hot wings are an iconic dish to serve at cookouts, sporting events, or even family nights. If you’ve ever attended a tailgate party and felt left out while the rest of your non-vegan friends indulged in a big platter of hot wings, this is the recipe for you. These seitan wings couldn’t be easier to whip up, and they are completely meat free. I’ve served these at many barbecues and while I can’t say these vegan wings taste exactly like the “real thing”, they are always a huge hit. They even look like traditional buffalo wings!
The base for these vegan buffalo wings is seitan, which is a fantastic source of plant-based protein. In fact, just a 3-ounce portion of seitan contains 21 grams of protein! And it’s low in carbohydrates and fat, making this a great choice for high protein diets as well.
Seitan is made from vital wheat gluten, and when mixed with water and spiced, it cooks into a fantastic meat substitute. It’s quite substantial – these wings will leave you feeling full. And it’s simple enough to make from scratch at vital wheat gluten home. If you’ve never tried seitan, these wings are a great excuse to finally give it a try.
These seitan wings are super spicy – so make sure you can take the heat! I love spice, and have enjoyed these made with Sriracha sauce. But that would be too hot for many of my friends! Turn down the heat by choosing a milder hot sauce. Just be sure to check the ingredients to ensure the hot sauce you choose is vegan. You can also reduce the quantity of hot sauce for milder wings.
This is one of my very favorite vegan buffalo wing recipes- I hope you give it a try. And if you aren’t up for tackling seitan just yet, check out some of our other vegan buffalo wing recipes for more ideas!
- Sliced mushrooms- 1 cup
- Chopped onions- 1/3 cup
- Fresh garlic, peeled and minced, 1 tbsp
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- ground sage- 2 tsp
- ground thyme - 1 1/2 tsp
- ground marjoram - 1 tsp
- ground rosemary - 3/4 tsp
- nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
- ground black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- vegetable broth- ½ cup
- Vital wheat gluten- 1 cup
- Panko bread crumbs- ½ cup
- Flour- ½ cup
- Paprika- ½ tbsp
- Salt- ½ tbsp
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Soy milk- 1 cup
- lime juice- 1 tbsp
- Fresh ground pepper
- Vegan butter- ½ cup
- Hot sauce- ½ cup
- lime juice- 1 tbsp
- Ketchup- 1 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Take mushroom, garlic and onion in a food processor and chop.
- Add oil, salt, and all spices (sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg, black pepper) to the mixture.
- Add broth and process into a smooth paste.
- Add gluten and process to make a smooth dough.
- Now, take the dough out of food processor and roll into finger-shaped pieces. Flatten each one slightly.
- Mix flour, bread crumbs, paprika, pepper and salt in a bowl.
- Take another bowl, and mix the lime juice and soy milk together.
- Dip each piece of seitan into the soy milk mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the seitan "wings" on the cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip and bake for 10 more minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine vegan butter, hot sauce, lime juice, and ketchup. Heat over medium-high heat until butter is melted and sauce is heated through. Stir well.
- Let the seitan wings cool for 5 minutes, toss with the sauce, and serve.