We’ve posted a number of vegan hot wing recipes on the site, but this one may be my absolute favorite. These cauliflower wings are amazing mostly because of the sauce. The combination of mango and sriracha sauce is like sweet and spicy heaven.
Cauliflower is a healthy and easy vegan substitute for traditional hot wings – it’s low in carbs and high in nutrition. They have a great meaty texture, but stay crispy on the outside when baked in the oven.
We use mango jam to infuse some sweetness into the spicy sriracha sauce. I have to admit, I make this cauliflower “wing” recipe mostly for the sauce. I could eat it by the spoonful. My husband is from India, where you can literally pluck fresh mangoes off the trees. I don’t think I had even tried a mango before we met and he introduced me to them. Now, I can’t get enough – fresh mangoes, mango jam, mango ice cream – all amazing.
These taste sophisticated enough to make it beyond the tailgate party too. They make a great appetizer at a cocktail party, or can even be a meal on their own when served alongside some basmati rice or couscous.
Check out more vegan buffalo wing recipes here.
Spicy Mango-Glazed Cauliflower Wings
- Cauliflower- 1 head
- Water- 1 cup
- Whole wheat flour- 1 cup
- Cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Red chili pepper- 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Mangoes, fresh, 1 cup, finely diced
- Apple juice- 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Agave Syrup - 3 tbsp
- Preheat the oven.
- Chop the cauliflower into bite size pieces, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the water, flour, cayenne pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, and the salt and pepper.
- Toss the cauliflower pieces with the batter until well coated.
- Spread cauliflower on a lightly greased baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add the red chili pepper and saute for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the fresh mango, and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until mangoes are soft and beginning to caramelize.
- Add the apple juice, water, and agave syrup.
- Simmer for approximately 15 minutes, until it thickens into a glaze, stirring occasionally.
- Toss the cauliflower wings with the glaze, and serve hot.