This colorful salad is a perfect summer salad; it is light and it can be served cold. We suggest that you serve it with toasted French bread, it is a really great combination, but you can also serve it with whatever you like.
Ingredients for pesto:
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 4 cups arugula (remove heavy stems)
- 6 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
Ingredients for cannellini salad:
- 2 cans cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- 3 cups red cabbage chopped into strips
- 1/3 cup green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon chopped capers
Preparation of arugula pesto: In a dry skillet toast sunflower seeds for about 3 minutes until lightly browned. Place in food processor, add arugula, lemon juice, garlic and oil and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Preparation of cannellini salad: In a large bowl mix all ingredients and then add 2 to 3 teaspoons of arugula pesto and toss. Let it rest 20 to 30 minutes so the flavors meld well.