Nothing says tailgate party louder than a big plate of hot wings, and these cauliflower wings are a fantastic vegan substitute. Cauliflower is often used as a substitution for less than healthy foods. It’s popular smashed as a fill-in for mashed potatoes, or even ground up as the base for pizza crust. In this recipe, cauliflower becomes the base for our “hot wings” – and these cauliflower wings are surprisingly satisfying.
The cauliflower wings themselves have a great “meaty” texture. When roasted in the oven, they get crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The breading is made from brown rice flour, almond meal, and flax seed – which may just make it the healthiest breading in the history of buffalo wings. It also means this recipe is completely gluten-free! And the hot sauce is seriously delish – spicy from the chili powder with a bit of sweetness from the agave syrup.
The wings could be deep fried, which may be a bit more traditional, but I prefer baking them to keep the recipe on the healthier side.
I recently served these as an appetizer at a family cookout, and my non-vegan family members were quick to polish them off. These are especially popular with the kids, and they’re healthy enough to let them have their fill. If you can get your hands on some vegan blue cheese dressing, it makes a great addition as a dipping sauce.
I hope you’ll give these cauliflower wings a try for your next party or just for a family movie night, and let us know how they turn out! Plus check out more vegan hot wing ideas here, including buffalo wings made from homemade seitan.
Buffalo Cauliflower Wings with Lime
- Cauliflower- 1 head
- Ground flax seed- 2 tbsp
- Water- ½ cup
- Hot sauce- 1 tbsp
- Rice flour- 1/2 cup
- Cayenne pepper- 1 tsp
- Chili powder- 1/2 tsp
- Paprika-1 tbsp
- Fresh lime juice- 1 tbsp
- Olive oil- 1 tbsp
- Agave Syrup- 2 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Combine flax seed, water and hot sauce in a big bowl and put it aside to thicken.
- Now, take the cauliflower head and cut into bite size pieces.
- Now, add brown rice flour and almond meal to flax seed mixture. Mix it well to get lump free batter.
- Take cauliflower pieces and add them to this mixture. Toss them well with the help of spatula until they are completely covered with the batter.
- Now, take these pieces one by one and spread them into baking sheet. Bake them for 10 minutes, then toss and again bake for the same time.
- While the cauliflower pieces are baked, mix all the sauce ingredients. Stir it to mix well. Here you have the choice of heating or not heating the sauce according to your taste. But if you are going to heat it then put it on low flame.
- Now, take the baked cauliflower in big bowl and toss the sauce over them. Toss it well to cover the baked pieces equally.
- Now, put the bowl in oven and bake for 5-7 minutes to make them crunchy.
- Finally, you vegan Buffalo wings with cauliflower are ready to serve. You can garnish them with green onions, cabbage and even nuts.