There is nothing like a tasty vegan pozole to warm you up on a cold night. Pozole, or posole, is a dish originally from Mexico. There are many ways to prepare a posole, depending on your taste and the ingredients you have on hand.
This particular red bean pozole recipe makes use of pumpkin seeds for some great vegan nutrition, and a whole lot of substance. This recipe is not only completely vegan, but also gluten-free.
Now, let’s take a look at what were are going to need in order to prepare a delicious vegan pozole.
- 1 chili in adobo sauce, chopped
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 15 ounces of diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 15-ounce can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed.
- 2 15-ounce cans of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
- salt and pepper
- limes, fresh – optional
To prepare the vegan pozole (posole):
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pot.
- Saute the garlic and onion on medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In the same pot, add the diced tomatoes, oregano, vegetable broth, and salt and pepper. Stir it and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add the beans. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chilis, and a dash of lime juice if desired. If you want a spicier posole, add more chili and less for a milder dish. Stir mixture and let it cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
You are now ready to dig into your delicious and nutritious vegan pozole. If you would like additional garnishes, some good options are tortilla strips or avocado slices. Serve with additional lime wedges, if desired.