Looking for a meatless substitute for traditional hot wings? These vegetarian buffalo wings use seitan as the base, giving them a fantastic “meaty” texture, without any of the actual meat. In fact, these hot wings are entirely vegan.
The recipe calls for premade seitan, which is available in many natural grocers. But you can also make your own – check out this recipe for buffalo wings with homemade seitan.
Vegetarian Buffalo Wings
- Flour- ¼ cup
- Salt- few dashes
- Pepper- for taste
- Paprika- for taste
- Dash cayenne- optional
- Olive Oil- ½ cup
- Premade Seitan- 1 pound
- Vegan Butter, such as Earth Balance- 1/3 cup
- Hot sauce- 1/3 cup
- Combine the following ingredients in a bowl- flour, pepper, salt, paprika and cayenne.
- Take 1/3 cup olive oil in a big skillet and heat it over medium to high heat.
- Prepare the seitan by chopping it into chunks about the size of bite. You can chop them into slabs or finger shaped pieces.
- Pour these seitan pieces into the flour mixture and mix it well.
- With the help of tongs, pour these wings into the hot oil one by one for frying. While putting them into the oil, you need to take care that pieces should not crowd one another too much.
- Fry the wings for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they start giving golden brown shade. Fry all wings in this way.
- Meanwhile, combine hot sauce and vegan butter in a saucepan and heat it over low- medium flame. Heat the mixture until Earth balance is dissolved and the sauce is blended completely. Then remove the saucepan from heat.
- Now, when the sauce and all seitan wings are done, add the seitan wings to saucepan. Sprinkle the mixture with some buffalo sauce. Cover the pan and shake it well.
- Pour the wings onto plates and serve.